Pages

Monday, December 16, 2013

White sandwich bread


This had to be one of the best gluten-free sandwich breads I've ever had! Not only did it taste good, but it also had a nice soft texture. Nothing like those brick loaves I find at the grocery store that must be kept frozen, or those sponge-tasting loaves that are vacuum-packed on the shelves. Though I've learned my body isn't too happy when I eat too much of any type of bread, I liked this bread so much that I ended up eating this whole loaf by myself over the course of 4-5 days! I guess you could say I was making up for all those missed times I couldn't make a decent sandwich using the hard and crumbly store-bought breads.

So without further ado, here is the recipe. I hope you have a good turn out and enjoy it as much as I did!


Adapted from Bob's Red Mill recipe.

Suitable for a standard sized Bread machine pan.

Makes about 14, 1/3 inch slices.

Ingredients:
  • 3 large eggs*
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 c canola oil
  • 1  1/2 c water (+ 1/2 c to blend into dough manually to thin it out)
  • 2 c white rice flour
  • 1/3 c cornstarch
  • 1/2 c potato starch
  • 1/2 c coconut flour
  • 1 tbsp xanthan gum
  • 3 tbsp sugar 
  • 1  1/2 tsp salt
  • 2/3 c dry nonfat milk**
  • 2  1/4 tsp active dry yeast
Directions:

Whisk wet ingredients together in a bowl and add to bread machine pan. Whisk dry ingredients together another bowl and then pour into machine pan.

Set machine to the white/basic setting.

When the machine finishes the initial mixing, take out the dough and mix in the extra water, to get it to a wetter, softer consistency.

Extra water was added outside of the machine with an electric mixer (dough hook) because the dough was too thick and wasn't expected to facilitate much rising. This amount of water made the dough very wet, to more of a very thick batter or cookie dough. (This let the machine mix it better and the dough rose about half its size.)

Return dough to machine and let it finish the job. Before it starts the baking mode, usually about an hour before the end of the timer (my machine's basic setting runs 3 hours, so at the 2hrs, baking starts), check to see if you might need to spread out the top of the dough to even it out more.

When the bread is finished baking, remove it from the pan and set onto a cooling rack to let it cool completely before slicing.

*1 tbsp ground flaxseed plus 3 tbsp hot water is baking substitute for eggs

**I am not sure but it may be ok to sub. this with nondairy liquid milk, if you subtract the same amount of liquid in the recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment